Attempt to update DNS Host Name of the computer object in Active Directory failed.

/ August 5th, 2010/ Posted in Server, Server 2008 R2 / 1 Comment »

Problem:

Attempt to update DNS Host Name of the computer object in Active Directory failed. The updated value was ‘VXXXESB-JX.CXXX.iXXXt’. The following error occurred:
The parameter is incorrect.

Resolution:

After looking at wireshark logs for a different issue related to message queuing I noticed some strange entry for dNSHostName which did not match to the computer name. I opened ADUC and browsed the attributes and noticed this:

After editing the attribute and changing it to the correct value it should have been “ESB” the error went away and the message queuing app started working again.


One Comment

  1. Ed Lawrence
    2013/05/15 at 10:46:38

    Nice Jamie!. I was googling this for one of the PeopleSoft web Servers and found this. 🙂

    -Ed

Leave a Reply

Name required

Please Submit Answer * Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.