1. Create Windows 7 Gold Image to your liking, installing all applications
2. Create unattend.xml file for initial audit phase using WAIK. The only setting I like to apply here is the CopyProfile=TRUE. This will enable whatever user’s profile that runs sysprep.exe to be copied to the Default User profile.
3. After configuring initial unattend file copy it to c:\windows\system32\sysprep\ folder and load up a command prompt. After the file has been placed there boot sysprep into audit mode with the generalize command. Without the generalize command the current user’s profile will not be copied to the default profile.
4. After it boots up into audit mode install any additional software, clean up temporary files, customize any other settings needed.
5. Once additional customizations are complete put sysprep into oobe mode. delete the orginal unattend.xml file as the new one will be pushed down with SMS. then run sysprep with sysprep.exe /oobe /generalize /shutdown. This will cause the system to shutdown after the sysprep is complete and then your ready to capture the image.
— WORK IN PROGRESS